Introduction and Purpose
Infonet-Biovision is a web-based information platform and a database that was initiated in 2005 by Biovision Foundation in Switzerland to make research findings and information on sustainable agriculture technologies available to the users in East Africa. This website is "a comprehensive information hub", a one stop-shop for different stakeholders in sustainable agriculture, providing scientific and practical validated information on plant (crop), human, animal, and environmental health. Infonet is operated and co-managed by Biovision Foundation, the owner, in collaboration with Biovision Africa Trust's (BvAT) based in Kenya and cooperates closely with the channels under the Biovision Farmer Communication Programme (FCP). This site, its contents, and any disputes arising therefrom shall be construed and interpreted exclusively under the laws of the canton of Zurich and applicable Swiss federal laws.
- "Infonet" refers to the Infonet-Biovision online database, website, Infonet Apps, and its social media platforms.
- "Offline" means the Infonet-Biovision USB stick and the downloadable version that is accessible on the startpage.
- "Infonet products" are owned and co-managed by Biovision Foundation and Biovision Africa Trust, referred to as "us" or "we" throughout this policy.
- "Visitors" are users of Infonet.
- "Users" or "you" refer to visitors in this policy
The information we collect depends on the services you are using. Non-provision of this information may hinder us from providing you with relevant and up-to-date information optimally. The personal information we collect and the purpose for which we use that information are described below:
- Newsletter Subscription (Mailchimp): If you choose to subscribe to our newsletter through Mailchimp, we collect your email address and any other optional information you provide. This information is managed by Biovision Africa Trust (BvAT) in collaboration with Infonet and is used to send you updates, news, and promotional content related to Infonet. You can unsubscribe from our newsletter at any time by following the instructions in the email.
- Donations (PayPal): If you choose to make a donation to Biovision Africa Trust (BvAT) through PayPal, you will be redirected to the PayPal platform to complete the transaction. PayPal collects and processes your payment information, and we receive confirmation of the donation along with limited personal information such as your name and email address. We use this information to acknowledge your donation and ensure it is used for the intended purpose.
- Expert Subscription: If you choose to subscribe as an expert, we collect information you provide such as your name, email address, professional background, and areas of expertise. This information is compiled in our backend systems and is used to facilitate communication between you and users seeking expert advice on Infonet. Your personal information will not be publicly displayed or shared without your consent.
- Download of Offline Version: When you download the Infonet offline version, certain user data is compiled in our backend systems for statistical analysis, quality management, and to improve the user experience. This data may include your name, email address, telephone number, profession, organization, county, country, and date of birth. We treat this information with strict confidentiality and do not share it with third parties without your consent.
- Communications from you to us: When you send, receive, or engage with messages from us, including when you submit personal information or requests by emailing email@example.com or through the website contact form, we collect information about you to process your inquiries, respond to your requests, and improve Infonet and our services.
- Visit to the Infonet database (website): When you visit Infonet, the website collects anonymous demographic information that is not unique to you. We only collect the personal data that your browser transmits to our server (so-called "server log files"). The information collected includes the visited website, used IP address, date and time of access, time zone difference to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), access status/HTTP status code, the amount of data transferred in bytes, website from which you accessed the site (source/reference), used browser, the operating system used and its interface, language, and version of the browser software. This information is technically necessary for us to display our website, ensure its stability, functionality, security, evaluate system security and stability, and provide general statistics regarding the use of the Infonet website.
Data Security and Retention
Analytics and Performance
We internally analyze personal data available to us and the use of Infonet content, as well as the inferences we make from that data, to observe social, economic, and geographic trends as they pertain to Infonet content. This analysis helps us improve our services and provide a better user experience.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Infonet does not sell, rent, or lease its customer lists to third parties. We keep track of the websites and pages our users visit within the Infonet database to determine which services are the most popular and to improve our offerings. We will disclose your personal information, without notice, only if required to do so by law or in good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to the edicts of the law or comply with legal process served on Infonet; (b) protect and defend the rights or property of Infonet; and (c) act under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of Infonet products or the public.
Third-Party Service Providers
Infonet may share data with trusted service partners such as Mailchimp and PayPal, Google Analytics, and AddThis to collect information about how you interact with our website or mobile applications. This includes tracking the pages you visit, the site you visited prior to our website, the time spent on each page, the operating system and web browser used, and network and IP information. All such third parties are prohibited from using your personal information except to provide these services to Infonet, and they are required to maintain the confidentiality of your information.
Warranties and Liabilities: Unless otherwise stated, all content on the Infonet Biovision Website is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Materials provided on this Site are provided "as is," without warranty of any kind, either express or implied. Infonet specifically does not make any warranties or representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any materials. Infonet periodically updates the materials on this site without notice. Under no circumstances shall Infonet be liable for any loss, damage, liability, or expense incurred or suffered from the use of its materials.
Links to Third-Party Websites
Infonet may contain links to third-party websites. Please note that we are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites. We encourage you to review the privacy statements of any websites you visit via links on Infonet to understand how your information is collected, used, and shared. Infonet is not responsible for the privacy statements or other content on websites outside of our products.